On April 5, 2016, the Independent Judicial Civil Court Screening Panel met and began the process of screening candidates for the nomination of the Democratic Party for two (2) New York County-wide Civil Court vacancies, one vacancy in the 4th Civil Court District, and two incumbents in the 2nd and 4th Civil Court Districts, to be filled in the November 8, 2016 General Election. The following individuals were designated to the panel:
- Albert Barruceco, Hispanic National Bar Association, Region II
- Dana M. Catanzaro, Columbian Lawyers Association
- Stacey Charland, Neighborhood Defenders Service of Harlem
- Joshua Crespo, New York Urban League
- Khalil El Assaad, New York Law School
- Patricia Fersch, New York Women’s Bar Association
- Alan Greenberg, Jewish Lawyer’s Guild
- Irving Hirsch, City Bar Association of New York
- Emily Hoffman, Community Service Society of New York
- Chris Kwok, AABANY
- Arnold Levine, Criminal Bar Association
- Cynthia Liang Weaver, Asian Americans for Equality
- David Oddo, New York State Trial Lawyers
- Wanda Sanchez Day, Puerto Rican Bar Association
- Chul Pak, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York
- Karol Robinson, Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Crystal Shipp, NAACP Mid Manhattan Branch
- Asha Smith, Metropolitan Black Bar Association
- Nasreen Syed, South Asian Bar Association of New York
- Michael Weiner, LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York (Le-Gal)
On May 3, 2016, the Independent Judicial Screening Panel for Civil Court reported that the service of incumbents, Hon. Eileen Rakower in the 4th Civil Court District and Hon. Margaret Chan in the 2nd Civil Court District merit continuation. The Panel also reported the following candidates as most highly qualified for two (2) county-wide Civil Court vacancies and a single vacancy in the 4th Civil Court District:
- Judy Kim, Esq.
- Phaedra Perry Esq.
- Josh Hanshaft Esq.
- Emily Morales-Minerva Esq.
- Robert Rosenthal Esq.
- Nicholas Moyne Esq.
- Shahabuddeen Ally Esq.
Thank you to the panel and its administrator, Lucas A Ferrara, Esq. for their diligent work.
Curtis Arluck and Louise Dankberg
Co-Chairs, Judiciary Committee